Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review Of Hand Pruners

Often referred to as ''By-Pass' pruners, because of the way that they cut, my favorites are made by Corona. (In these 2 photos, the pruners on the left are 'anvil' pruners. They are effective, but not my favorites.)
The 2 pruners with the green handles have a replaceable blade, at a good price. It is an easy fix for when I have worn my blades out (which takes a few years).
The red handled pair, with the ripped rubber grips, are my go to pair.
I have tried every type of hand pruner I can find and Fiskars comes in with a close second. I misplaced the pair that I have had, so there is no photo of them.
The Felco pair is somewhere lost in the vortex that is the tool box on my truck. I really wanted the Felco's to work out for me, if for no other reason to justify the expense of them. They just don't fit my hands comfortably.
I have purchased 2 types of Barco pruners, which fall apart within months. I had BIG hopes for the Barco ratcheting pair to become a fav, but they use toooo much energy to repeatedly squeeze before cutting. They also have a short life in the field.
Comfort and ease are priorities always for me. I spend 4 + consecutive hours hand pruning bushes with branches the size of pencils, a few times a year, so anything that'll keep my hands from aching gets my vote.
I cut old garden hose and slide them over the handle grips to make it more ergonomic.

No comments:

Post a Comment