Thursday, February 7, 2013

Taking Care Of Our Hands During The Winter . .

Winter is hard on my hands. Hard freezes make the fluids in my joints feel as if they really will snap off if bumped.
My favorite hand creams for the last few yrs are 'Gold Bond, Ultimate Softening Skin Therapy with Shea Butter,' and from Burt's Bees, Inc. 'Burt's Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream,' (recently repackaged).
Slathering petroleum jelly on my hands, at bedtime, with an old pair of socks over them, is remarkable, too!

Lined Leather Gloves From MIDWEST GLOVES AND GEAR
Under my lined, leather work gloves, I do wear a thermal glove liner, purchased at REI, on those really cold days. The glove liners are an expensive must have for the year 'round "I CAN"T STAY IN THE HOUSE CUZ THE SUN'S OUT" gardener.  (Sorry that I couldn't locate them for a photo.  They are an odd metallic gold and black fabric, that reflects body heat.  They are super thin & costly.)

 
When I am working in a water feature during cold weather, I wear scuba gloves made of neoprene.  They are very effective until punctured, or if the water gets beyond the glove's cuff.  (They do have a lingering scent of a locker full of dirty gym socks.  The trade off isn't too bad.)  These gloves are available in the fishing section of major department stores.)
**Sidebar:  My brother in law, Steven, loves fly fishing, to the point of becoming a certified instructor.  In the early years of his developing affection for the 'catch and release' sport, I was amazed by the endless accessories that were available to sportmen.  And I mean ENDLESS.
I initially found them amusing, but they really are practical.
My point:  Gardeners are very creative (generous) people.  When looking for speciality tools, check out the sporting goods department & hardware sections of department stores.  Welding gloves are great for rose pruning. **

No comments:

Post a Comment