Saturday, October 27, 2012

www.mybelovedbakery.com

From my friend Nageswari's blog :

Experiment using other foods as a side dish or template. One of my favorites is cauliflower rice. I really love Indian food, but when I stopped eating rice, I felt like I was eating all these bowls of stew with nothing to soak up the delicious sauciness. Then I found a recipe for cauliflower rice. I wasn’t keeping track of sources then, so I have no idea where I found it. I find that it completely satisfies my desire for a “base” to soak up extra sauce and every serving is an extra serving of vegetables. Win-Win.
This size, or a little smaller is what you need.
Cauliflower Rice
1 head of cauliflower
1 small onion, chopped finely
2 T butter or oil, your preference
salt and pepper to taste
Cut the florets off of the cauliflower.
Chop the florets in to small, rice-like pieces either patiently using a knife or (preferred) using a food processor and pulsing.
Half-way there
Cauliflower “Rice” ready to eat
Melt the butter or oil in a pan and add the onion, chopped extremely finely. Saute the onion for a few minutes, until it starts to look translucent. Add all of the cauliflower and toss it around with the butter and onion so that it is well mixed. Saute the cauliflower for about five minutes over med-high heat. I like to cauliflower to have the texture of al-dente pasta, so I leave it a little firm.
Vegetable Fried Cauliflower Rice
Follow the directions above for making cauliflower rice. Once the “rice” is cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
In the same pan, saute your favorite mix of vegetables in a tablespoon or so of your choice of oil over high heat. Tonight I used broccoli, cabbage, carrots and spinach.
You can use any veggies, just make sure to cut them into pieces that will cook in about the same time.
While the veggies are cooking, crack 6 eggs into a bowl and scramble them lightly. I like to add a tablespoon or so of coconut aminos, soysauce or Bragg’s liquid aminos to season the eggs. I also like to add cracked fresh pepper
Once the vegetables are almost cooked, season them lightly with soysauce, bragg’s liquid aminos or coconut aminos (if you avoid soy like we do). Push all the veggies to the edge of the pan and lower the heat a little bit. Pour in the scrambled eggs and scramble to your liking. When they are done, mix thoroughly with all of the veggies, including the cauliflower rice. Taste it and adjust the seasonings accordingly.
Sauteed and ready to eat!
The kids came in tonight and exclaimed that it smelled so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment