Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kashi Atlanta's New Potato Patch . . .


Kashi Potato Patch 2012


Gita & I posing at The Kashi 2011 Potato Patch




This year's potato patch is 5 times larger than last years, which is very exciting. 
Last season, I only planted red potatoes.  I put them in late in the season, and the yeild was small in size and number.  Admittedly, I was disappointed, given the fact that a 3 year old with minimum supervision can grow potatoes.  But that feeling is often unimportant, to me, when homegrown and organic food makes it to the table.
The new bed is planted with 'Yukon Gold' and 'Red Potatoes.'  (Since members of the cabbage family are good 'companion' plants for potatoes, I may add some cabbages to the bed.) 
I purchased these "seed " potatoes from a feed store not far from our cabin.   ( *** Be advised that the typical potatoes from the grocery store will not bare spuds for us.  Purchase "seed potatoes"  if your plan is to grow them.  The BIG BOX stores are selling them at a high price, so you may want to shop around. )
Plant a cut piece of the potato with at least 1 eye in it.  They grow undergound & will send up there green stalks.  These stalks will need to be covered with soil or straw to keep the eyes cool during hot weather. when the stalks turn brown and droop over,  the potatoes are ready for harvest.
I am of the opinion that the soil beneath the eyes is much more important than the material above it.  A good fertile and light foundation is paramount in the success of our Gardens.  Last season, I only used straw above the stalks and it composted beautifully, rendering a wormie and lush base for this year's potato patch.
I spread the composted soil out over the area I wanted to use for the bed then added a layer of brown cardboard over top of it (big magnet for red wigglers).  On top of this, I added compost from the Ashram bins to fill the bed to its current level.
The photo below is some of that mix.
  

Kashi Compost 2012



  This photo is not as exciting as the reality of activity occurring within the compost.



This is one of the 4 compost bins.  I set 2 worm bins in it to encourage the red wigglers to move from the pile, through the holes in the bottom of the bins, to the compostable material within it.

Worm Tea will occur later.

No comments:

Post a Comment